Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Your Rights Online: Using Tire Pressure Sensors To Spy On Cars

Posted by kdawson on Tuesday April 01, @05:21PM
from the privacy-under-pressure dept.
AngryDad writes "Beginning last September, all vehicles sold in the US have been required to have Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) installed. An article up at HexView enumerates privacy issues introduced by TPMS, and some of them look pretty scary. Did you know that traffic sensors on highways can be adopted to read TPMS data and track individual vehicles? How about an explosive device that sets itself off when the right vehicle passes nearby? TPMS has been discussed in the past, but I haven't seen its privacy implications analyzed before. Fortunately the problem is easy to fix: encrypt TPMS data the way keyless entry systems do."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really found you
by error, while I was searching on Aol for something else, Regardless I am here
now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also
love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all
at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really found you by error,
while I was searching on Aol for something else, Regardless I am here now and would
just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round
exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.