Monday, August 11, 2008

Cooking (with) Light

homemade solar ovenOnce, many years ago, a tornado-caused multi-day power outage inspired my friend Megan and I to try to cook rice with a solar oven. We had a bit of trouble. Granted, we were grade-school age, but at least one of us (not me) was pretty good at science and at following instructions. Yet, the rice didn't come out quite as edible as we had hoped.

Since then, there have been a number of developments in solar ovens. Ecofriend tells us about the newest creation from Teong Tan, who has taken the best characteristics of two other solar cookers and combined them. Meet the Fun-Panel Solar Cooker. It can be made from a cardboard box, aluminum foil, tape, a piece of string, and some glue. I do wonder just how "fun" those panels are to create, but maybe I'll give this a shot next time our power goes out.
Related Link

No comments: